We went to the beach yesterday. It was really nice. The kids enjoyed playing in the sand, and chasing the waves. The weather was perfect too.
At one point, Ryan started to bury himself in the sand. I guess he's not "tactile resistant" like some therapists warned about when he was younger! After he was pretty covered in sand, he thought for a moment, then laid down and started to roll. Rolling, just rolling down the beach, without a care in the world. Grammy, Mark and I just watched in amazement, he's been to the beach hundreds of times, and has never ever done that before. It was like he thought to himself, "this would be fun, so what the hell?" and then just did it! When we tried to video it, the camera's battery died, so these are just a few seconds of it.
At first I was concerned about what everyone else at the beach would think about this kid rolling down the sand. Would they think it was because he had DS and didn't know any better? Then I realized that I didn't care what anyone else thought, no one really seemed to notice much anyway. He didn't give a damn what anyone was thinking, he was just having fun and that's what was important to him.
I wish I could be more like him sometimes.
(edited to add - just watched Wiggle Bay after a long hiatus, and saw the "Rolling Down the Sand Hill" song - that must have been what he was reliving!)
Monday, July 9, 2007
Life's a beach, so just roll with it.............
Posted by Laura
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
That looks like fun! It reminded me of something my Dominic would probably decide to do.
Your kids are priceless. :) Love your post below too. You rocker you!
I sometimes find myself wondering about things like that too, like when Rhett does his cookie monster voice as loud as he can in a resturant or church. But.....like you I think who cares? He is my pride and joy and is just being himself, why would I want to change that?
Post a Comment