14 years ago yesterday, my life changed forever…….in more ways than one.
I was about to become a mother for the first time.
I always knew that I wanted kids, and was so happy to have found the perfect man to be the father of my children when I found Mark.
After dreaming all through childhood and my early adult years about how amazing it would be to be a mom, it was finally coming true! I was about to give birth! Our joy was contagious, and we just couldn’t wait to meet this baby!
And then, the unexpected happened ~ We were told that our son most likely would be born with Trisomy 21 (Down Syndrome). In an instant, I no longer was going to have the “perfect” baby. I suddenly became a “Special Needs Mom”, something I never even considered when we decided to have kids, because that sort of thing only ever happens to “other” people.
Hearing that news devastated us. It was one of the worst days of our lives. I will NEVER forget the pain, fear and anguish we felt. I was so ignorant at the time, and was so worried about the future, and what all the so called “experts” told us that Ryan would never be able to achieve! Oh how wrong they were! I only wish I would have known back then what I do know now, that this kid ROCKS!
Our boy had some medical issues that required surgery and a stay in the NICU for 2 weeks after he was born. Being sent home without my baby still hurts my heart to this day. But I thank my lucky stars for my family who would drive me back and forth to the hospital to visit him daily during that time.
It’s been a roller coaster ride ever since, for sure! From the highest highs, to the lowest lows……it hasn’t always been easy, but it’s ALWAYS been worth it. The highs and good times have certainly outweighed any lows we have had!
This boy has taught us all more in his 14 years, than I have ever known in my entire life. Love, Acceptance, Patience, Kindness, Trust, Compassion, Ability, Bravery, Spontaneity, Loyalty, Cleverness, Determination, Enthusiasm, and Friendship (to name a few!) Ryan has never met a stranger, and everyone who has ever met him, has always left the experience as his friend! It’s truly an amazing thing to witness! I wish I could be more like him sometimes.
His having DS has also opened up our entire family to meeting the most amazing people on this planet, who will forever be lifelong friends! That extra chromosome just immediately bonds people as family. What a wonderful gift for us all, how lucky are we?!
So today, as I look back on the last 14 years, that began with sorrow and fear, I celebrate, and want to shout from the rooftops, that my son is AWESOME, HANDSOME, ATHLETIC, SMART, COOL and HILARIOUS! He amazes me daily, and I wish I would have known that was going to be the case from the start!
Happy 14th Birthday Ryan Patrick! Thanks for making me a mom, and a better person for knowing you! Our family is so blessed to have you in it and we could not be any prouder of you! We love you with all our hearts!
And now, a little stroll down memory lane ~ just for old times sake! :)









.jpg)











As you can see, he's more like any other "typical" boy than he is different! He has always enjoyed, and participated in all kinds of sports and activities, and had a great time doing so. Down Syndrome is just a small part of who he is, it does not define him, and it definately has not limited him! :)
Please don't ever let fear stop you from believing in what your child will be able to accomplish!
Wednesday, May 22, 2013
Happy 14th Birthday to our amazing son! ...........
Posted by Laura
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
0 comments:
Post a Comment