(sung in my best John Mellencamp impression voice)
During our trip, a beautiful friendship was born. One that was the talk of the pool, and actually the entire lounge chair area! One that I believe will be lifelong, even if only for one week out of every year.
It all began with 2 little boys from 2 different places: each wearing a different hat and each sporting a different number of chromosomes.
Everyday Ryan would wear his NY Yankees hat, and another little boy in the pool always wore a Boston Red Sox hat. They started playing catch with each other and really seemed to click. Everyone was joking about it, because of the infamous Yankees/Red Sox rivalry, but these boys didn’t seem to care about what anyone else thought, they just continued to play together and make each other laugh..jpg)
As the days went on, they would get more and more goofy. Catch lead to playing Tug of War, which lead to splashing each other in the pool. They really became inseparable ~ until I had to separate them when they started “wizard fighting” – whatever that is! Boys will be boys, I suppose.
One night, while we were out on the beach, we heard shouting. We turned around to see Jack and his Dad on their balcony, waving like crazy, and calling Ryan’s name. Within moments, they both joined us on the beach. Jack’s dad, Rich, said that Jack told his parents he just HAD to come down to the beach when he saw us out there, because “Ryan was his best friend in the whole world EVER!” For the rest of the trip, we all pretty much hung out together. If Jack and his family were spending the day at the beach, so were we. His parents were really nice, and very cool. We all had fun together.
Photo Sharing - Video Sharing - Photo Printing - Photo Books
The morning we were leaving, they showed up at our door. Jack wanted to have one last catch and say goodbye to Ryan (even though we had exchanged email addresses the night before) Jack also wanted to give Ryan the new ball that Jacks mom had bought for them to play with in the pool. In return, Ryan gave Jack one of his matchbox cars. It was so sweet. These boys really became great friends and were sad to say goodbye to one another.
The moral of this story is that all of the worrying I used to do about whether or not Ryan would make/have “typical” friends was again tossed aside as I watched these 2 boys play together. As always, my son has proven to me that I wasted so much time in the beginning worrying about the what ifs? None of the differences I mentioned at the start of this post mattered to these boys ESPECIALLY the chromosome count. Neither one of them cared about their differences, all that mattered to them was that they hit it off and became instant BFF’s!
6 comments:
Oh, very cool!!!!! I love the pics and the friendship the boys formed.
Wizard fighting... Harry Potter dear~ William would have loved to be in on that!!!!!
That is UNBELIEVABLE that those two boys hit it off so well--a Yankees fan and a Red Sox's BFFs--now I've seen everything ;)
The pic of the two of them with their arms swung around each other is so cute. Hope these two get together again soon!
Laura
I met two boys on vacation when I was younger ( I was a tomboy). The first had a sister who was deaf and the next summer at the same place a year later I met a boy with cp and his brother from Alaska. I never kept in contact with them though, I hope r and his friend will continue e to be friends.
The first thing I noticed in the pictures in the post below was the Yankee hats and groaned inwardly - I'm a huge Sox fan LOL So then the first thing I noticed was the cap of the little boy in this pic and couldn't believe they hit it off so well! Not because of the difference in chromosomes, but because of the difference in teams LOL
I loved this story of friendship - not only of 2 little boys, but both families, and the gifts they both exchanged...thanks so much for sharing!
We're going to be in Boston too for convention (hopefully you'll leave the NY hats at home LOL) and hopefully we'll be able to meet!
This has to be one of the greats stories I have read in a long time.....look at the joy on their faces.
Children have a way of seeing what is truly important!
I just love this Laura....
We are going to Boston, even Rick....we hope you guys go too, especially for Ryan and Jack!
Love,LOVE the story, the friendship and the pic of them together is priceless! NDSS Buddy Walk entry!
Maybe Nash can meet up with the boys in Boston
Post a Comment